Makabayan Bloc activist youth leader Kabataan Rep. Sarah Elago reported P50,000.00 in assets and zero liabilities in her statement of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN) for 2016 and humbly stands alone as the only 'down-and-out' in spite surrounded by billionaires and multimillionaires in the House of Representatives.
Despite having lawmaker 'peers' who earn more than P100,000 per month, the 27 years old Sarah Elago only makes half the salary of them. Elago is around 140,000 times poorer compared to the richest congressman and business tycoon, Michael Romero of 1-Pacman Party-List group who has declared P7 Billion as his State of Assets and Liabilities (SALN).
When Elago was interviewed by Inquirer about her finances, she just simply says, “I’m single and renting a place. I don’t own a house.”
A monthly salary of P108,000 as a lawmaker under salary grade 31 is what Rep. Sarah Elago receives. However, she dedicated and spend most of her money into her group’s activities according to her which includes free education advocacy work and youth empowerment campaigns.
Elago also added in an interview:
“Kabataan is not just a sectoral party-list, we’re also a national mass youth organization. [The] bulk of my income goes to support for various advocacy campaigns and use of such is collectively and democratically decided upon by our national executive council,”
Ms. Sarah Elago also expressed how she felt about her 'astounding difference' in between of her and to Cong. Michael Romero and she even attributed it to the “very diverse composition” of the 17th Congress.
“We came from different backgrounds. I was a student activist before I became the nominee of Kabataan. Any income I earn is for the collective use or responsibility of my party,” Elago said.
And below is the other billionaires in the House of Representatives.
The wife of Department of Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar which is Diwa Rep. Emmeline Aglipay-Villar whose declared her wealth at P1.41 billion last year in her SALN.
The other 294 lawmakers are multimillionaires.
And here's the list of 8 out of 10 richest members of the House of Representatives.
1. A landlord from Negros Occidental, Rep. Alfredo Abelardo Benitez who has a net worth of P942.96 million which is now the third richest person in the House of Representatives.
2. The wife of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, Ilocos Norte Rep. Imelda Marcos has set her net worth of P917.8 million.
CLICK PAGE 2 TO SEE MORE PHOTOS
3. The former Mayor of Quezon City and Former Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. has declared P852.13 million as his net worth.
4. Manila Teachers Rep. Virgilio Lacson has P768.82 million.
5. The former MMDA Chairman and is now Marikina City Representative, Bayani Fernando has a net worth of P738 million.
6. The Lipa City Representative and the 'Star Of All Season' Vilma Santos-Recto has a net worth of P522.61 million in 2016.
7. The former President and Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo who was the in the 11th place declared her net worth of P434.64 million.
8. The Quezon Province's Minority Leader Danilo Suarez, with a wealth of P177.26 million, places him at the 24th spot.
9. Ilocos Norte's Majority Leader Rodolfo Fariñas has a net worth of P169.13 million.
10. Ranking him at the 50th spot, Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez has a declared net worth of P86.5 million.
And this shows that whatever your financial standing is, nobody can stop the person who loves and have a passion to serve the people and the country.
What can you say about this humble Kabataan Partylist Representative? Share us your thoughts in the comments section below!